Wired4Signs USA LED Lighting News
Tesa® 4965 Double-sided tape on our new LED strip
- James Pudney
Pitfalls to avoid when installing led strip lighting
LED strip lighting is perfect for smaller spaces that do not have sufficient light. Installing LED strip lighting sounds fairly simple – if you prepare for it properly, you can avoid some pitfalls to make your installation quick and painless.
The most common issue experienced with installing LED strip lighting is often the wiring.
The first pitfall you should avoid is using solid wiring. Stranded wiring offers more intimate contact which reduces voltage drops and power losses. It compresses and flattens out, increasing the contact area while minimizing heat at the connection.
Solid wiring often cases connection points to heat due to not having enough contact areas. For some extra contact and a secure connection, you can consider soldering your LED lighting strips.
The second pitfall to avoid in wiring your LED strip lighting is having frayed wires. This will cause a noticeable voltage drop and could cause an electrical short. The cleaner and straighter the wires, the better the connection – this also leads to a reduction in voltage drop.
Another pitfall to avoid is to make sure that the converter is sufficient for the amount of strips you have. Every strip has its own wattage and you should check this before buying the converter. The maximum amount of watts that a standard conversion can handle is 60 watts. Be sure to calculate the wattage of your LED lighting strips, to see if you should consider investing in a second converter. You should try to address this issue before even starting with installation to avoid having to stop midway to go back to the store.It is safe to add a 20-30% margin on to the specified load to cover for loss caused by wired and joints
You should determine the LED color temperature before buying your strips. The color temperature measures the color of an LED light bulb and defines the amount of red, blue, yellow and pure white in a light. In layman’s terms, it means how “warm” or “cool the white LED light bulb is. The color temperature will be indicated as degrees Kelvin and forms part of the color spectrum found in light. When working with white LED lighting strips, you can use the following guide for the various applications:
- Relaxed environments like dining and living areas are best suited for warmer whites with a 2700 – 3500 Kelvin color temperature.
- In areas where tasks are performed and proper lighting is needed, such as kitchens and bathrooms, a natural white with a 4000 – 4500 Kelvin colour temperature is preferred.
- Daylight whites are often used in retail outlets or offices to simulate normal sunshine during the day. This points to a Kelvin colour temperature of 5000 – 6000 Kelvin.
- Industrial areas and hospitals make use of cool or commercial whites with a Kelvin color temperature of 6000 – 7000 Kelvin.
As mentioned earlier, proper preparation can make for a simple installation of your LED strip lighting. Make sure you have addressed the above pitfalls before starting your installation.
- James Pudney
- Tags: Tips
Supermarket Display lighting
FACT :- The color of fresh meat or confectionaries in supermarket display cases forms a first impression, that without a doubt, strongly influences the average person's purchase choice.
FACT :- The pigment,myoglobin, which determines the color of fresh meat undergoes various chemical reactions to form other pigments. These reactions are triggered by light, heat, and oxygen availability.
Hence the importance of choosing the right bakery lighting or meat display lighting
Advantages of using LED strip lighting in food displays
LEDs have a number of advantages versus other forms of lighting including incandescent, fluorescent and highintensity
- Directional light emission – able to direct light where it is needed without the use of reflectors.
- Small in size – can be very compact and low-profile.
- Durable – no breakable glass or filaments.
- Cold temperature operation – performance improves in the cold due to lower junction temperature within the diode.
Instant on – require no “warm up” time.
- Rapid cycling capability – lifetime not affected by frequent switching on and off.
- Configurability – compatible with electronic controls to change light levels and color characteristics:-configurable LED Strip lighting
- No IR or UV emissions – LEDs intended for lighting do not emit infrared or ultraviolet radiation.
- No hazardous substances – do not contain mercury and are able to meet the RoHS directive.
- Low voltage – can easily be configured to operate at safe, low DC voltages such as 12V or 24V.
- Long life – properly designed LED luminaires with good thermal management can have useful lives of 50,000 hours or more.
Implementation of LEDS into display merchandisers
The transition from linear T-8 fluorescent lamps to LED luminaires is not straightforward and requires careful
consideration of a number of criteria when designing or implementing solid-state lighting fixtures into display
Some tips ....
Vertical Glass-Door Merchandisers
Vertical glass-door merchandisers, often called “reach-ins,” are the first style of commercial refrigerator to begin to
see widespread use of LED lighting systems. Due to their relatively common shape, size and configuration across
different manufacturers, reach-ins present one of the easier applications in which LED lighting systems can be
However, before selecting an LED light fixture for a reach-in merchandiser, special attention should be paid to the
geometry within the case. Specifically, the most important relationship is the distance between the face of the
product stocking area (i.e., the front of the shelves) and the mullions, where the light fixtures are typically mounted.
Depending on the depth of the shelves and of the overall merchandiser, this distance can vary from as little as 3
inches (76 mm) to as much as 7 inches (178 mm) or more for the LED luminaire to provide even illumination level across the front of the shelves. This problem is particularly prevalent in narrow-footprint reach-in cases.
Vertical and Semi-Vertical Open Multi-Deck Merchandisers
A second type of high-volume merchandiser used in supermarkets is the vertical or semi-vertical open multi-deck
style, often used for dairy, meat and produce products. Due to the massive variety of shapes and sizes available,
these cases present more of a challenge when using LED luminaires in place of traditional linear fluorescent lamps.
Items to consider when designing or selecting LED shelf light fixtures:
Need to work with both horizontal and down-tilted shelving configurations.
Good color quality may be vitally important, especially in red meat merchandisers.
A wide angle of light discharge may be required to light the top of products evenly on deep shelves.
Shelf fixtures may be exposed to water, corrosive cleaning agents, and acidic food substances.
Items to consider when designing or selecting LED canopy light fixtures:
- Canopy lighting system must have enough flexibility to evenly illuminate products as close as 12 inches(0.30 m) and as far as 60 inches (1.52 m) away.
- Canopy lighting system must have enough flexibility to evenly illuminate products in vertical merchandisers with air curtain angles of nearly 90 degrees as well as semi-vertical merchandisers with air curtain angles as steep as 45 degrees or less.
- Must have enough light output to adequately illuminate products as far as 60 inches (1.52 m) away.
- Good thermal management of the LEDs is required because the luminaire may not be mounted inside the refrigerated zone of the merchandiser.
another interesting study
Beef Stored Under LED Lights Stays Red Longer
Research has proved how keeping ground beef under meat display case LED lights as opposed to incandescent bulbs can slow down the redness-discoloration (oxidation) process in hamburger meat. The researchers have found that ground beef stored under no light retained its red color the longest. However, this is not an option when selling meat, because consumers have to see the meat they buy.
They examined the color of ground beef patties that were both five and 25 percent fat at one, three, five, and seven-day intervals. The team also tested the patties for concentrations of lipid oxidation and myoglobin. Lipid oxidation is a primary cause of quality deterioration that can lead to rancidity or off flavor in fatty or raw tissues. Myoglobin is the protein responsible for the meat’s color. The meat display cases were kept at temperatures near two degrees Celsius (35.6 Fahrenheit) during the experiment.
The more discoloration occurred, the longer the samples were stored in the display cases. By the fifth day, the more red color of the LED-lit patties was noticeable compared to those under fluorescent lights. The patties under LEDs also had had less oxidation of color and fat, giving them extra display shelf life.
Structural Bonding vs Mechanical Fastening
With ongoing advances in structural adhesive formulation, designers in every industry have increasing alternatives to mechanical fasteners for assembly of metal, composites, plastics, rubber, glass and more. With a wide choice of epoxies, acrylics and urethane's, engineers have the high cohesive strength and creep resistance to permanently bond high strength materials and potentially replace mechanical fastening in applications ranging from bicycle frames and disk drives to plastic fencing and refrigeration coils.
Beyond having load-bearing strength, structural adhesives offer other styling, performance and production improvements, including the following.
- Uniformly distribute stress over the entire bonded area
- Effectively bond dissimilar materials:-example eg, bond acrylic to aluminum
- Maintain integrity of the assembled substrates:-Methacrylate is a good stainless steel adhesive alternative to welding - for the simple reason that welding tarnishes the stainless steel surface
- Maximize fatigue resistance with adhesive flexibility:-a stud welded onto aluminum can cause fatigue where it has been welded whereas a bond will be spread over surface and allow more flex and therefore less stress
- Simultaneously bond and seal against the environment:-instead of drilling a hole through steel and risking corrosion - a simple bond avoids compromise the surface
- Frequently help reduce cost and increase production
see our MP 55000 series for further information
Two Part Methacrylates
Methacrylate Adhesives Bond Similar and Dissimilar Materials !
Our methacrylate adhesives are engineered specifically for structural bonding of nearly all thermoplastics, metal substrates, and composite materials; as well as for bonding of structural adhesives similar and dissimilar materials. They provide exceptional bond strength and are extremely durable adhesives that adhere through surface oil and grease so less surface preparation is required.
The acrylic adhesives provide outstanding performance in a wide range of applications in the transportation, industrial, construction and marine market sectors.
These superior industrial adhesives allow for the production of stronger and lighter finished assemblies.
Methacrylate adhesives’ many attributes include the elimination of pre-drilling, thermo-cycling, providing high peel, and shear strength.
They are chemical resistant and impact resistant products. Plus, they have a full range of work times and cure times; and we have a room temperature cure as well. Known for their resistance to temperature extremes, our high temperature adhesives can handle temperatures ranging from -40˚F to 350˚F.
Adhesive Systems’ two-part methacrylate adhesives require mixing (1:1 ratio) before application…our methacrylates cure quickly.
Our methacrylate adhesives come in convenient cartridges with a mixing nozzle for easy storage, use, and disposal.
Aside from manufacturing and supplying adhesive solutions, we can also custom engineer adhesive products using your company’s engineering specifications or formulate an adhesive for your particular needs.
Our adhesive product capabilities are so broad in scope due to their endurance and high quality that we have what every business is seeking in an adhesive product
Structural Adhesive Bonding Adheres Metal-to-Metal
Known for their exceptional bonding abilities, our metal adhesives are suitable for automotive applications such as choke and transformer bonding, DC motor assembly, alternators, and flywheel applications, tacking, unitizing, ruggedizing, sealing, shallow potting, rearview mirrors, fuel pumps and steel doors.
Structural adhesive bonding also provides advantages for the sheet metal industry including reduced operator skill and less post-weld finishing.
In addition, they have gained great acclaim for being a metal-to-metal adhesive that enables durable metals bonding and for applications using ceramics or composite materials
Some of the benefits of our structural adhesive bonding products are:
- Superior bonding capability of dissimilar materials (including metals) independent of their metallurgical properties.
- Provision of electrical and thermal insulation, and protection against galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metallic parts joined together.
- Ability of effectively reducing weight, preserving their load-carrying capacity, limiting stress concentration for long fatigue life and providing sealing action.
- Improved appearance given by adhesive bonding to finished structures without the need of introducing disturbing surface modifications.
- Our revolutionary resin or super glue chemistry drastically shortens assembly times and saves space, labor, and regulatory compliance costs to make automation easier for manufacturers.
- The proven results are higher manufacturing efficiency, more extensive stress distribution, and cleaner product surfaces for manufacturers
- Superior bond strengths
- Dependable performance
- Excellent aging and weathering properties
- Good impact and vibration resistance
- Good resistance to high temps and humidity
- Versatile, bonds a wide range of similar and dissimilar materials
- Cure at room temperature or can be accelerated with heat
- Solvent free
- Good gap filling characteristics
- Wide range of products that provide cure speeds, viscosities and performance properties,to meet specific requirements
- Improves finished product quality
- Replaces mechanical fastening devices
- Lowers cost
Tough, durable bonds
Stronger, lighter finished assemblies
see our MP 55000 series for further information
We always recommend that you test the product before using in production - we offer the service testing your substrates or contact us for free advise
Further tips and applications
- With proper surface preparation, epoxy structural adhesives will typically provide excellent adhesion to bare metals, glass, and certain types of composite materials, plastics, powder coats, and paints. However, acrylic structural adhesives will usually bond all of these plus more types of polymeric materials.
- There are even unique formulations that will bond low surface energy (LSE) plastics such as polyethylene, polypropylene, and PTFE without the need for exotic surface preparation techniques.
- Acrylic adhesives also bond more types of powder coats and paint systems, which are becoming increasingly more common and more difficult to bond
- Ideal product for fabricating Dibond ,ACM ,Alucobond, sign board and other cladding systems however this needs to be done with caution and respect for the material
- Methacrylate is an excellent marine adhesive