Structural Bonding vs Mechanical Fastening
With ongoing advances in structural adhesive formulation, designers in every industry have increasing alternatives to mechanical fasteners for assembly of metal, composites, plastics, rubber, glass and more. With a wide choice of epoxies, acrylics and urethane's, engineers have the high cohesive strength and creep resistance to permanently bond high strength materials and potentially replace mechanical fastening in applications ranging from bicycle frames and disk drives to plastic fencing and refrigeration coils.
Beyond having load-bearing strength, structural adhesives offer other styling, performance and production improvements, including the following.
- Uniformly distribute stress over the entire bonded area
- Effectively bond dissimilar materials:-example eg, bond acrylic to aluminum
- Maintain integrity of the assembled substrates:-Methacrylate is a good stainless steel adhesive alternative to welding - for the simple reason that welding tarnishes the stainless steel surface
- Maximize fatigue resistance with adhesive flexibility:-a stud welded onto aluminum can cause fatigue where it has been welded whereas a bond will be spread over surface and allow more flex and therefore less stress
- Simultaneously bond and seal against the environment:-instead of drilling a hole through steel and risking corrosion - a simple bond avoids compromise the surface
- Frequently help reduce cost and increase production
see our MP 55000 series for further information
Two Part Methacrylates
Methacrylate Adhesives Bond Similar and Dissimilar Materials !
Our methacrylate adhesives are engineered specifically for structural bonding of nearly all thermoplastics, metal substrates, and composite materials; as well as for bonding of structural adhesives similar and dissimilar materials. They provide exceptional bond strength and are extremely durable adhesives that adhere through surface oil and grease so less surface preparation is required.
The acrylic adhesives provide outstanding performance in a wide range of applications in the transportation, industrial, construction and marine market sectors.
These superior industrial adhesives allow for the production of stronger and lighter finished assemblies.
Methacrylate adhesives’ many attributes include the elimination of pre-drilling, thermo-cycling, providing high peel, and shear strength.
They are chemical resistant and impact resistant products. Plus, they have a full range of work times and cure times; and we have a room temperature cure as well. Known for their resistance to temperature extremes, our high temperature adhesives can handle temperatures ranging from -40˚F to 350˚F.
Adhesive Systems’ two-part methacrylate adhesives require mixing (1:1 ratio) before application…our methacrylates cure quickly.
Our methacrylate adhesives come in convenient cartridges with a mixing nozzle for easy storage, use, and disposal.
Aside from manufacturing and supplying adhesive solutions, we can also custom engineer adhesive products using your company’s engineering specifications or formulate an adhesive for your particular needs.
Our adhesive product capabilities are so broad in scope due to their endurance and high quality that we have what every business is seeking in an adhesive product
Structural Adhesive Bonding Adheres Metal-to-Metal
Known for their exceptional bonding abilities, our metal adhesives are suitable for automotive applications such as choke and transformer bonding, DC motor assembly, alternators, and flywheel applications, tacking, unitizing, ruggedizing, sealing, shallow potting, rearview mirrors, fuel pumps and steel doors.
Structural adhesive bonding also provides advantages for the sheet metal industry including reduced operator skill and less post-weld finishing.
In addition, they have gained great acclaim for being a metal-to-metal adhesive that enables durable metals bonding and for applications using ceramics or composite materials
Some of the benefits of our structural adhesive bonding products are:
- Superior bonding capability of dissimilar materials (including metals) independent of their metallurgical properties.
- Provision of electrical and thermal insulation, and protection against galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metallic parts joined together.
- Ability of effectively reducing weight, preserving their load-carrying capacity, limiting stress concentration for long fatigue life and providing sealing action.
- Improved appearance given by adhesive bonding to finished structures without the need of introducing disturbing surface modifications.
- Our revolutionary resin or super glue chemistry drastically shortens assembly times and saves space, labor, and regulatory compliance costs to make automation easier for manufacturers.
- The proven results are higher manufacturing efficiency, more extensive stress distribution, and cleaner product surfaces for manufacturers
- Superior bond strengths
- Dependable performance
- Excellent aging and weathering properties
- Good impact and vibration resistance
- Good resistance to high temps and humidity
- Versatile, bonds a wide range of similar and dissimilar materials
- Cure at room temperature or can be accelerated with heat
- Solvent free
- Good gap filling characteristics
- Wide range of products that provide cure speeds, viscosities and performance properties,to meet specific requirements
- Improves finished product quality
- Replaces mechanical fastening devices
- Lowers cost
Tough, durable bonds
Stronger, lighter finished assemblies
see our MP 55000 series for further information
We always recommend that you test the product before using in production - we offer the service testing your substrates or contact us for free advise
Further tips and applications
- With proper surface preparation, epoxy structural adhesives will typically provide excellent adhesion to bare metals, glass, and certain types of composite materials, plastics, powder coats, and paints. However, acrylic structural adhesives will usually bond all of these plus more types of polymeric materials.
- There are even unique formulations that will bond low surface energy (LSE) plastics such as polyethylene, polypropylene, and PTFE without the need for exotic surface preparation techniques.
- Acrylic adhesives also bond more types of powder coats and paint systems, which are becoming increasingly more common and more difficult to bond
- Ideal product for fabricating Dibond ,ACM ,Alucobond, sign board and other cladding systems however this needs to be done with caution and respect for the material
- Methacrylate is an excellent marine adhesive
- James Pudney